I have eaten plantains before and actually couldn’t eat them very well when I first started AIP (a paleo based elimination diet called the autoimmunepaleo protocol). As I started to heal, I now have a higher threshold for eating starches - a big part of what makes green plantains. Adding a lot of coconut oil seems to help my body metabolize them better, so I use coconut oil to cook these delicious things.
3 unripe peeled plantains
6 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp Sea salt
wide mouth mason jar.
1. Cut plantains into 1 inch chips.
2. Place small sauce pan over medium heat.
3. Place the coconut oil in a saucepan and allow it to melt and spread evenly across the saucepan.
3. Place slices of plantains over the saucepan.
4. Cook the chips until they are golden on each side (about 4-5 minutes)
5. Remove them from the heat.
6. Place one chip between the bottom of the mason jar and over a cutting board. Lightly press the fried chip under the mason jar until it slightly flattens. Repeat with the rest of the fried chips. The chips will be thinner and wider.
8. Place the flatten chips back onto the saucepan.
9. When the chips are golden all over or to your preference, remove them from the saucepan and place them in a bowl covered with a paper towel.
11. Once you are finished, dash sea salt over the chips and mix them so that all of the chips are covered with salt.
12. They are ready to be served alone or with toppings (ex. guacamoles, liver pate, or other dressings).