Eating healthy can take a lot of work and time. And may not even be possible if you don't have a kitchen, the tools, or education on how to cook. Finding restaurants that serve nutrient-densed, along with healthy fats and oils is then super important if you are not able to cook. I made this list of places and sources to eat healthy in the Bay Area when a healthy meal. Please let me know if think I have left out a restaurant. As a side note, I posted more casually minded restaurants since there are many fine-dining restaurants that accommodate ancestral leanings.
- Little Gem - From personal experience, if you are sensitive to nightshades ask that they exclude it from their rice.
- Mission Heirloom Cafe & Garden @ Berkeley
- Mission Heirloom Pop-Up @ Westfield Mall
Places that can make gluten ‘conscious’ meals…
- 4505 BBQ - Ask for their green salad without bread, burger pattie, brisket, and fries (if you can eat them)! It is my favorite BBQ place!
- American Eatery - They have paleo options. Just ask what they are since the choices can change. They use tallow for their fries! Yipee! And they have the best lamb pattie!
- Roam Burgers - Order their market salad and 100% grass-fed trio beef patties. Be careful with the fries, if you are sensitive to rice bran oil.
- Blue Barn @polk and @chestnut - Their salads are the best quality in town. Just be sure to ask for no bread since they - by default - add it to most of their salad options. As a warning, if you are sensitive to canola oil, they use it to cook their french fries.
- Mixt Greens - great place for a quick lunch in the financial district.
- Nopalito can make some meals without added gluten, but I haven’t been here in awhile so can’t name specific dishes. It is a great place to people watch.
- Bar Crudo and Hog Island Co. are great places to eat oysters!
- Bio Cafe serves some gluten free bread.
- Sol Foods in Marin - a casual restaurant that serves Puerto Rican inspired food.
- Last, but not least, is the Whole Foods Salad Bar. Most of them now offer ACV and olive oil as options for dressings with nom nom paleo inspired dishes.
On-the-Go Delivery Service
Mealmade - Staying late at work or want food delivered at home in the city today? You can call the day of and get a meal for dinner or lunch! Double check their specific availability, since their scheduling may have changed.
There are other amazing places for healthy food and room for accommodation, but these are the places that I trust for recommendation at the moment, mainly because I haven’t had any food reactions when eating there.